Saturday, January 4, 2014

BOUT OF BOOKS 9.0 GOALS AND UPDATES

I will be participating in Bout of Books 9.0. Such a good way to help kick off a new year of reading. Goals template adapted from here.

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
Time Devoted to Reading
I will be reading all week. I have work Monday-Friday and there are a few week nights I have plans in the evening but that still leaves plenty of time to get in some serious reading.

My Goals
My goal is to read at least four of the books listed below. They are books I had planned on reading soon and there is some genre variety so there should be something I want to read regardless of what I am in the mood for on the day.  I want to participate in at least four challenges. I am not going to set a goal for leaving comments, but I usually end up visiting a sizable chunk from the list of participating blogs each day.

Books to Read
1. The Darwin Elevator by Jason M. Hough 
2. Forever Rumpole: The Best of The Rumpole Stories by John Mortimer
3. Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton 
4.  The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin 
5. The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson (narrated by the author) 
6. My Ántonia by Willa Cather 
7. Dune by Frank Herbert
8. The Tale of Raw Head and Bloody Bones by Jack Wolf
9. Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig


Updates
Monday
Books I’ve read today: Dune (in progress), Tooth and Claw (in progress)

Number of pages read today: 233

Total number of pages I
’ve read:
233
Total number of books I’ve finished: 0
Challenges completed today: mad libs, book buying spree
Comments: One of my most embarrassing literary confessions (especially as a lover of speculative fiction) is that I have never read Dune by Frank Herbert but I have seen the super flawed movie adaptation from David Lynch about 10 times. What can I say? It is not that great but I can't help watching it when I see it is on TV. Time to get into the source material. So far I am loving the book. I am about a third of the way in.


I also started Tooth and Clay by Jo Walton. This book is awesome. In the dedication and thanks section, the author says that the books owes a lot to Anthony Trollope's Framely Parsonage. I have never read Trollope but I like Victorian novels in general so I figured I would like this especially since it is a take on those novels but with dragons instead of humans.

Tuesday
Books I’ve read today:
Dune (in progress), Tooth and Claw (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 279
Total number of pages I’ve read: 512
Total number of books I’ve finished: 0
Challen
ges completed today: reading tactics
Comments: Not much in the way of an update today. I am still working on the two books from yesterday and I am still liking both. I had hoped to finish Tooth and Claw yesterday because I am really enjoying it but dinner with the family cut into my reading time. Then I accidentally fell asleep around 8pm and woke up with all my lights on and me still in my clothes at 3am so that was a bust. I need to stop thinking I can close my eyes for just a minute and not go into full on slumber mode.

Wednesday
Books I’ve read today:
Dune (in progress), Tooth and Claw (finished)
Number of pages read today: 269
Total number of pages I’ve read:
781
Total number of books I’ve finished: 1
Challenges completed today: introduce someone to you favorite genre
Comments: I loved Tooth and Claw! I have been pushing it on everyone I know. It is the intersection of two of my favorite types of books and I was sad to finish reading it which is always a good sign. I am also making steady progress on Dune. It drags a little in parts but I am still really liking it.


Thursday

Books I’ve read today: Dune (finished), The Psychopath Test (finished)
Number of pages read today: 216 pages and 7h33m of audio
Total number of pages I’ve read:
997 and 7h33m of audio
 Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: double date

Comments: I finished Dune. Overall I really liked it. I have seen criticisms that it is dated and that the dialogue is too formal to be believable, and while I think those are accurate assessments they didn't bother me. Like a lot of good Science Fiction, Dune covers a lot of issues (religion, politics, environmentalism to name a few) and it is easy to see why it is a classic.

I also started and finished The Psychopath Test and ended up enjoying this one a lot too. I was able to finish the whole thing off today because it is an audiobook so I could listen while I was at work and running errands. It is narrated by the author which was great because he was engaging and a lot of the book was the experiences he had while gathering information for writing about the subject so it was perfect to hear him tell the stories.

Friday
Books I’ve read today:
The Darwin Elevator (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 41
Total number of pages I’ve read:
1,038 and 7h33m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: none
Comments:
Started The Darwin Elevator. Not much to say yet.

Saturday

Books I’ve read today: The Darwin Elevator (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 129
Total number of pages I’ve read:
1,167 and 7h33m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: none
Comments:
Did some more reading of The Darwin Elevator. This one is not clicking for me. I do not care about any of the main characters (I like some of the secondaries though) and I am only reading to see what happens next plot-wise, but I think a lot of the questions wont be answered until books two and three in the series so I am feeling kind of blah about the whole thing.
 
Sunday
Books I’ve read today: The Darwin Elevator (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 32
Total number of pages I’ve read:1,199
and 7h33m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: none

Comments: Barely did any reading today because my time was eaten up by football and some church thing and I am still not loving The Darwin Elevator so I didn't pick it up much in my free time today. I am going to try to finish it fairly soonish but I might pick something else up first. I am just about half way through.

Wrap Up  
I started the read-a-thon super strong and really liked the first three books that I read but was not really digging the last one so I stalled out a bit at the end there and didn't reach my goal of four books, but Dune is pretty long so I am satisfied with what I was able to finish in a week. I did one more challenge that I was aiming for so that was a success. I also ended up visiting a lot of the other participants' blogs and really enjoyed seeing what other people were reading. Next time I am going to try to leave comments for people.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a successful day yesterday! It's brilliant that you're loving both books. I really enjoy having a couple on go, I find it makes reading even more interesting to mix it up a bit. Have a good Bout of Books :)

    ReplyDelete