Friday, April 4, 2014

24 IN 48 READATHON: GOALS AND UPDATES


I am jumping in fairly last minute on the 24 in 48 readathon. I am on-call for work tomorrow which means I can't really go anywhere, but I might have some stretches of down time. If not, Sunday is going to be an epic reading day.

Books to Read
1. Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
2. 
The Code by Ross Bernstein - on page 146 of 240 at start 
3. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan - on page 313 of 722 at start

4. 
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark (narrated by Simon Prebble) - on 10h57m of 32h2m at start
5. 
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

My Goals
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and The Eye of the World are both pretty long and I am under no illusion that I will finish them, but I hope to take a sizable chunk out of each. I should have no problem finishing The Code as I only have around 100 pages to go.  I am reading Madame Bovary as part of a read-along and need to read the first nine chapters by the 10th to be on track so I am planning on knocking that out this weekend as well. All that should leave time for me to read the third book in the Mercy Thomspon series as well, fingers crossed.

1. From what part of the world are you reading today? San Diego, CA, USA
2. What book are you most looking forward to? Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I am going into the readathon with a third of it completed and I am loving it so far.
3. What's your plan for the weekend, if you have one? 12 hours a day? 18 today, 6 tomorrow? I plan to get as much in as I can on Saturday and then make up the rest on Sunday.
4. Are you going to be tracking anything specific this weekend besides time, like page count, books read, snacks consumed? I will be tracking pages and books completed.
5. Is this your first readathon? If it it not, leave our newbies your best readathon tip. Go with books that are on the shorter side. I am breaking my own rule as I have a couple of chunksters in the pile but those are books that I was already working on and I only plan on reading portions of them. 
6. Where are you going to be updating this weekend? Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, a blog? Here and maybe on instagram.

Saturday 8:00 AM
I was woken up at 5AM for a work thing so I decided to stay up and read instead of going back to sleep. I started with Iron Kissed and got all of five pages in before having to go into the office, but silver linings, I started in on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because it is an audiobook and I could listen to that on they way there and back. So far I have polished off two hours.

Saturday 11:00 AM
Took a break from the audiobook and switched over to The Code, which I finished (I only had a bout a third left when the readathon started). I have been a hockey fan since I was a kid so a lot of the book wasn't new information. The tone was pretty conversational and after a while it felt like the author was repeating himself, but it was interesting and I pretty much agree with the overall stance the author took regarding fighting in hockey. Also, it was written in 2006 (before the most recent NHL lockout which led to an abbreviated season) but held up well for the most part.

Oh, 2006 book, you are so optimistic.
I also listened to another two hours of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which brings my reading time up to five and a half hours.

Saturday 11:00 PM
My reading plans took a serious hit when my sister came over for a quick visit that turned in to a four hour long one, but I went back to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell when she left and listened to 4 more hours. I also started Iron Kissed and read that for one and a half hours so my reading time is up to eleven hours which is pretty good I think. I wanted to keep going but work stuff got in the way again. Time for bed.

Sunday 10:00 PM
So, I broke my normal readathon rules and ended up sticking with one really long book for almost the entire time but I was in the mood so I went with it. I listened to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for about ten hours today which brings my total reading for the weekend up to 21 hours. 


books neglected
I didn't end up touching the other books because I was loving Strange/Norrell so much and I probably could have finished it up today as I only have around two hours left, but I don't want it to end. I was not even close to doing what I set out to in my goals, but I am super happy with how this reading weekend turned out.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with your goals. I adored Madam Bovary. She is a real head case, but I couldn't help but to sympathize with her. She is just so sad, desperate, and... well desperate.

    ReplyDelete