Sunday, May 11, 2014

BOUT OF BOOKS 10.0: GOALS AND UPDATES

I will be participating in Bout of Books 10. It is coming fairly close on the heels of Dewey's 24 hour readathon and I am ready for some more marathon reading. Goals template adapted from here.

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
Time Devoted to Reading
I will be reading all week. I have work Monday-Friday and I am hanging out with friends for about half Saturday, but I am going to try to spend as much free time as possible reading.

My Goals
My goal is to read the book of poetry, the comic, the novella, and two of the others listed below. The Kesey book is audio and is a little over thirty hours long so I will be happy if I make it through half of that as well. I also want to participate in at least four challenges and leave three blog comments per day.

Books to Read
1. Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines
2. Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander 
3. Equations of Life by Simon Morden 
4. In Other Worlds by Margaret Atwood
5. Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day by Nikki Giovanni
6. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
7Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith
8. Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon by Willa Cather  
9. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
10. Blackbirds by Chick Wendig
11. Blindness by José Saramago
12. Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey (narrated by Tom Stechschulte)


Updates
Monday
Books I’ve read today:
Portuguese Irregular Verbs (finished), Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World (in progress), Sometimes a Great Notion (in progress)

Number of pages read today: 239 and 1h30m of audio
Total number of pages I
’ve read:  
239 and 1h30m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 1
Challenges completed today:
Comments: I started and finished Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith and started in on
Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. I read through the whole Angelville part today. I read this in college so it has been almost ten years and I forgot how whacked out (in a great way) it is.


I started Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey which I have on audiobook. Liking this one so far. There is a lot going on. I read that it can be a little confusing to follow due to the way the POVs jump around, but I like the style and the narrator is great. The way he does the reading helps clarify when the point of view changes.

Tuesday
Books I’ve read today:
Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World (in progress), Blackbirds (in progress), In Other Worlds (in progress), Sometimes a Great Notion (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 303 and 3h of audio
Total number of pages I’ve read: 562 and 4h30m of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 1
Challen
ges completed today:
Comments: 
I am trying our a free trial of Oyster (billed as the Netflix of books) which is perfect because Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (which I own but can't find at the moment) is available on there and I am in the mood to read it. I finished half of it today and I am really liking it so far. A lot of the meh or negative reviews I have read for it have had a problem with it being "too much dude" but that hasn't bothered me so far and I haven't had any issues with the voice of the main character who is a woman but written by a man.


I also read the intro and first essay of In Other Worlds by Margaret Atwood. She is one of my favorite authors and I am exited to get into this one. Also read some more of Preacher which is weird and fantastic as per usual.

Wednesday
Books I’ve read today:
Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World (finished), Blackbirds (finished), In Other Worlds (in progress), Sometimes a Great Notion (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 272 and 3h of audio
Total number of pages I’ve read:
834 and 7.5h of audio
Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today:
Comments: Finished up Preacher which was awesome. I only have the first two volumes and I need to get my hands on the next couple so I can tear through those. I also finished up Blackbirds which I really liked. There are two more books in that series that have been published so I will be adding those to my reading list. I had planned on getting through a big chunk of In Other Worlds, but only got through one essay because my sister was evacuated due to the all the wildfires that are raging down here so my brother and I went with her to a comedy show which ended up being great because it helped her de-stress a little.


Thursday

Books I’ve read today: Foundation (in progress), In Other Worlds (in progress), Sometimes a Great Notion (in progress)
Number of pages read today: 95 and 2h of audio
Total number of pages I’ve read: 929 and 935h of audio

Total number of books I’ve finished: 3
Challenges completed today: Spell it Out

Comments: 

Friday
Books I’ve read today:
Foundation (in progress), In Other Worlds (in progress), Sometimes a Great Notion (in progress)

Number of pages read today:
Total number of pages I’ve read:

Total number of books I’ve finished: 
Challenges completed today: Rainbow of Books, Cover Scavenger Hunt
Comments:


Saturday

Books I’ve read today:
Number of pages read today:
Total number of pages I’ve read: 

Total number of books I’ve finished: 
Challenges completed today: 
Comments: 

 
Sunday
Books I’ve read today:
Number of pages read today:
Total number of pages I’ve read:
Total number of books I’ve finished: 
Challenges completed today: 

Comments: 

Wrap Up  


1 comment:

  1. I like the diversity of your goals! Sounds like a great way to keep it fresh and interesting. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete